Breakfast …one of the most honest meal on can have.
I believe that because that is the first meal one has after one wakes up., it basically sets the tone for the day. I for one, become so groggy if I don’t have my brekkie ( or on time). Believe me I get cranky. To add to that craziness, for me, it is not just enough that there is breakfast, but is also important that it is something I love…or like or something surprisingly new!
And I love eggs. I also love pizzas. I can never get enough of them.
My breakfast , more often than not, is usually eggs with something in some form. I take pride in the fact that I can manage one month of eating eggs in different forms – I promise no two eggs dishes will be the same .. yes, I can! My husband can vouch for it! Honest.
There are days when I’ve had leftover pizza slices from the night before as my breakfast next day. So having pizza in the morning is not a new thing for me 😛 But making one from scratch ..is!
A breakfast pizza.
My love for pizza has got me try different flours, different toppings etc. One such experiments was the use of Ragi Flour (Finger Millet Flour). I love Ragi flour …esp in my bakes! Makes a great alternative pizza base, that needs no knead(ing) , needs no yeast and it is GF 🙂 How cool is that?
So an Alternative pizza …An alternative Breakfast Pizza
Basically any pizza + Egg(s) = Breakfast Pizza ❤ ( Thank you! That is my formula)
And because ragi (finger millet ) is in this dark brown almost cocoa color. I wanted something that complements and brings out the eggs on that millet base. Something Green!!
Peas are green. Just in case you don’t believe me – here is a picture 😀
But peas are not much fun just by themselves. I love them with garlic, mint or lemon. I make it often as crostinis. With some beautiful goat cheese. Oh boy!
So turns out that this pea mash also makes a lovely pizza topping. Slightly coarsely mashed peas on a rustic millet base and some gorgeous poached eggs is one of them perfect, guilt free indulgences that you can also called breakfast.
I made two little versions of this- because my ma in law doesn’t eat eggs – so a no-egg version for her and one with poached eggs for my husband & I.
Love how rustic it looks ….sliced or otherwise.
Poached two eggs for us and kept them ready while the pizza was getting baked in the oven.
And the colours that this pizza has is beautiful. The green, dark brown, white and yellow from the oozy yolk. Healthy and Gorgeous !
Ingredients for the Ragi Base (Without Yeast)
- Ragi Flour / Ragi Huri Hittu Powder – 1 cup ( You can choose to do a 50:50 too – Ragi to Whole wheat) · Whole wheat flour-1/2 cup
- Spices – 1 tspn of mixed Dry/ fresh basil, oregano, red chillie flakes
- Garlic – 1-2 pods grated
- Curd ( half to ¾ cup) Or Milk ( half to ¾ cup ) – Add a little more of either based on how the flour dough feels. No problem if the liquid is more or the dough gets sticky. It will be okay after it rests a little. It will only yield soft base.
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Note – If you wish to add yeast – you may. In which case, you would need to add the yeast to the flour mix before you pour the liquid.
Ingredients for the Pea Garlic Mint Mash
- 1 cup boiled / steamed peas
- Garlic 4 pods (medium size)
- Fresh mint – a handful
- Couple of leaves of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil 2-3 tbsp
- Water – 1-2 tbsp
Method for the Ragi Base Pizza
- Sift the flour mix into a bowl and to that add the dry spices , grated garlic , salt and either of the liquid ( curd/ milk).
- Knead well.
- To that dough add the olive oil .
- Knead a little more and cover and let it rest for about 15-20 mins ( room temp is just fine)
Method for Pea Garlic Mint Mash
- Use a blender or a mortar & pestle for this mash
- Mash the boiled peas, mint leaves , basil , garlic and olive oil , seasoning together (You may chop the leaves from before if you wish to) And ( Add water if you’d like to be slightly more smooth )
- Keep aside for later use.
Assemble and Bake
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Take the dough that has been resting – dust some flour on the countertop and roll the dough into a pizza shape of your choice.( pref thin crust)
- Dust some rava/semolina flour on the base of the pizza pan/stone/bakeware and place the rolled pizza dough on it.
- Spread the pea mash generously on the pizza (NOTE : This pizza doesn’t require any base sauce. However, feel free to smear some pizza sauce and then spread the pea mash, If you wish to)
- Drizzle some olive oil and pop it into the pre heated oven for about 20 minutes- 25 minutes or till it’s done.
IMP NOTE – Poach the eggs while the pizza is getting baked in the oven. Would recommend this – http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/technique/how-poach-egg
Alternatively, you can also poach your egg in microwave , if that works for you ( it doesn’t for me L ) Or you can also try some lovely fried eggs or soft boiled or even hard boiled eggs on top. That will work just fine. But try poached eggs though 😛