Coffee justifies the existence of the word ‘aroma’ – Glen Duncan
I agree with Glen but I guess I will add a couple of other things in there with coffee – that justify the word aroma. Cinnamon, Freshly baked bread, or even bbq!
I love coffee, love the smell, love to drink and love the fact that there are so different types of them to try. Like many of you, I grew up having it as hot/cold beverages or dessert.
Of Late , with my experiments with flavours , I’d been thinking of trying coffee in something other than the usual. I always had a feeling that the earthiness of the coffee would marry very well in a savoury dish. So, I parked that thought in my head and forgot about it.
This weekend, while I was at my appa’s place… wanted to cook chicken but something different. I decided to try my Coffee Chicken ( although I was supposed to make this next week with my sister in town)
I wasn’t even prepared to style it or shoot it like I would have (if I were at home). I just clicked it in all its simplicity …and just as it is. Chicken and sauce on a plate!
This is the first time I’ve ever had coffee with chicken and I can’t wait to have it again! I have some sauce left too (yay!)
This chicken was pan seared …had got lovely charred slightly crispy edges and coat. Thank god for the sugar in the marinade! And the sauce is just sensational ( notes to myself – experiment more with smoke) – velvety smooth, slightly sticky, slightly messy, rich , dark , smoky deliciousness ….is something that makes this BBQ sauce different.
Recipe – Coffee Chicken (with smoked coffee bbq sauce)
Ingredients for the marinade-
- Chicken breast – 2-3 breast fillets
- Instant coffee powder – 2 tbsp
- Balsamic Vinegar – 1 & 1/4 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 pods minced
- salt & pepper to rub on the scored fillets
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Score the fillets and keep in a bowl/ tray
- Gently rub the fillets with salt and pepper
- mix the rest of the ingredients together
- Rub the chicken with the marinade and let it rest for about 1 hour ( although 30 should also be fine)
Ingredients for the Smoked Coffee BBQ Sauce
- Butter – 1 -2 tbsp
- Instant coffee / brewed coffee strong – 1/2 cup
- Balsamic vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Onion powder – 1 tsp ( You can skip this, if you don’t have or add mince onion and strait the sauce at the end or not)
- Red chilli powder – 1 -2 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1-2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup ( I used the hot & sweet) – 3 tspn ( You may choose to add more if you want)
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- For smoking – Wok/deep dish with a lid +aluminum foil + 1-2 charcoal pieces + 1 tsp ghee / oil(Or if you have a BBQ grill – that would just be perfect)
- In a pan – add butter , let it melt a little.
- With the gas on low to med flame- stir in the rest of the ingredients
- Whisk well and allow it about 5 -10 mins to simmer. It will start to thicken / reduce ( look for your preferred consistency)
- Take it off the heat – Let it rest and it is ready to be used ( or it can be bottled for later use)
Smoking the Sauce – ( The sauce can be used without smoking it. This is just to add another dimension to the taste)
- Take some sauce in a cup and keep aside
- In a wok – place the aluminum foil at the base
- I heated the charcoal pieces on the gas (direct flame)
- When they are almost smoldering / red hot – place them on the aluminum foil.
- Place the cup of sauce next to the hot charcoal pieces
- Pour the ghee / oil on the charcoal pieces and quickly cover the wok
- The smoke will blend with the flavour of the sauce and will give deep earthy smoky taste
- Let it sit in for about 10-15 mins, the take sauce out and it is ready to be used.
I pan seared the marinated chicken breasts , drizzled the sauce on them and had them just like that. Occasionally, wrapped them in lettuce and dunked into the sauce. You can grill or oven roast your chicken.
This sauce + marinade will work very well with pork chops/lamb chops / ribs