Change … sometime means losing something good. It can also mean that there maybe something better waiting for you at the other end of it. Seasons are like that. For me it is winter. My favorite season! I love the cold weather. If I had it my way… it will just be winters all year round. But that is not it should work and thank god! that is not how it works.
Winter makes way for spring…and that in turn helps us , not particularly embrace, but surely prepare for the summer. But here in Bangalore, the weather gods decided to skip spring and go right into the hot days!
And when that happens, we just have to play along…try our own ways to beat the heat.
Food is one such approach. Through food, one can replenish what the mighty sun takes out of you, in the garb of the summer heat.
Speaking of food to beat the summer sun, we all have our go-to fixes. For most it is chilled thirst quenchers! Thanks to the spring flowers that blossomed into fruits… we have a whole array of fruits and vegetables to help us cool. There is something extremely pleasant about having citrus in summer. Citrus with a little sweet is what works best for me.
Oranges are just that – perfect!
Like any fruit, oranges are best eaten raw … but mind you, devouring its juicy goodness is also equally satisfying. And what you can do with that liquid gold is limitless.
Flavouring your Iced Tea is one of the gazillion things you can do with orange juice.
If you also happen to miss autumn/winter ( like me) , you may want to try adding some winter spice(s) to your Iced Orange Tea. Oranges and winter spices are a match made in heaven. You just have to try it to know it. Your own winter in a glass!
The chilled Spiced Orange Ice is a deliciously refreshing thirst quencher. The tangy sweetness of the orange juice, blended with the warm autumn /winter spices lends a beautiful taste and aroma to the otherwise regular Iced Tea. Throw in some fresh mint and lots of ice …and you are in a flavourful zingy treat!
If you enjoy alcohol… try adding vodka/gin/white rum/ whiskey to this Iced tea. I promise – it is a lot of fun! ❤
Recipe : Spiced Orange Iced Tea
Yields : 6 regular glasses
- 2-3 tsp leaf tea or 2-3 tea bags
- Peel an orange, save the peel for the tea and slices for garnish later
- 200 mls of orange juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 tbsp sugar (or to your taste)
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Spike it with your favourite alcohol (totally optional)
- Boil the water, add tea leaves/bags, orange peel, sugar, cinnamon, star anise to the boiling water . Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise , and strain the tea (or remove tea bags and orange peel).
- Transfer it to a jar/large bowl to cool.
- Add in the orange juice and mix well.
- Refrigerate until chilled ( to your liking)
- To serve -add enough ice cubes (optional) to a glass. Pour the Spiced Orange Ice tea- Garnish it with cinnamon sticks, fresh lemon slices, orange slices and fresh mint.
- (Optional–Add alcohol either when you are pouring it in the glass or mix it all together just before popping it in the fridge)
- Keeps good in the fridge for upto a week! But don’t let it sit till then 😛