There is something amazing about fruits that need to be peeled to be eaten. The way I look at it is that there is always something incredible waiting to be discovered! We all have our favorites , for me the most ‘apeeling’ fruit has always been Bananas. It has never ever ever disappointed me with its delicious awesomeness.
These curved long yellow fruits and I get along really well…the longer it sits in my kitchen the better it gets … the happier I get 🙂
Ripe ones are great, but over-ripe bananas …. oh my goodness! They are just the best ❤
There are days when I purposed let them sit longer for it for turned into something more evil like shakes, pancakes, breads , cakes, muffins. This time again, it was a breakfast muffin.
Breakfast muffins are always a delight. If they are lucky enough to last beyond a breakfast, they attain an “All day breakfast” stature. Rare, but it does happen. This time for us, it also served its existential purpose as a post dinner dessert.
When there is bananas, there has to be cinnamon. There is something magical about those two together. The sweetness they both have contains a certain earthiness and makes them a great pair, I think. Wanting it to make them wholesome, I opted for whole wheat flour and load them with walnuts.
It is always a joy to make these muffins. Not just because it is hassle free, super-easy, fool-proof…but also because I got to trip on the beautiful smells of over ripe bananas, cinnamon and vanilla together. Right from the time I was getting the batter ready …to when they are in the oven and of course when they are ready & out. The intensity is something that should just be experienced.
Perfect as they are..they don’t need any frosting. The roasted walnuts make a perfect balance of textures in your mouth with every single bite.
All I needed with this was a hot cup of black coffee and some alone time, to truly savor the gloriousness of these delightful little muffins.
Recipe : Mini Banana Walnut Muffins
Yield – 20- 22 mini muffins ( OR about 12 regular size muffins )
- 2 over ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- 2-3 medium – large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cup whole wheat (WW) flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chopped walnuts ( as much as your desire)
- Pre heat the Oven at 200 degrees
- Grease the muffin trays or keep them ready with liners
- Mash the bananas with a fork and keep aside
- In a bowl, mix – WW flour , salt , baking powder & soda, ground cinnamon – keep aside
- In another bowl whisk – Milk, eggs, sugar, mashed bananas and vanilla together. Add the oil, mix well
- Slowly add and fold in the dry flour mix to the milk mixture. Add some chopped walnuts (Keep some aside). Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the ready muffin mold
- Sprinkle some more walnuts on the top of batter sitting in the mold.
- Bake it for about 20 odd minutes @ 180 degrees ( check for doneness)
- Take them out and let them cool for a few minutes
- Dust some icing sugar (or cinnamon sugar or be adventurous with your frosting, if you may)
Note : These can be stored for upto for 4-5 days in the fridge