Fresh ripe voluptuous plums poached in red wine. The wine enhanced with warm spices , vanilla and a hint a rose, and reduced. An effortlessly elegant dish…
- 2 cups any sweet dessert red wine / or port
- 1- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fresh juice of a lemon
- 1 -2 cinnamon sticks & 2 star anise
- 4-5 medium size firm ripe plums – washed & halved lengthwise
- Take a pan- pour the wine, add sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and star anise – put it on heat
- Bring it a a gentle boil. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Place the cut plums in the pan- with skin side up.
- Keep it on sim – turn the plums from time to time carefully.
- Keep it heat until plums are tender and liquid is syrupy or the consistency is your liking. This may take a good 35 to 40 minutes.
- When done , transfer plums with the syrup to a serving bowl. Remove the whole spices.
- Let it rest and maybe even let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days.
- Serve it with ice cream, warm pies, or in parfaits ….whatever you fancy!