Warm Red Grapes Pie with sage …with a quenelle of vanilla ice cream
Ingredients for Red Grapes Jam
- 1 kilo red grapes (seedless)
- 200 ml Grapes juice
- 3-4 tbsp castor sugar
- juice of one lemon
- Fresh sage
- 2 cinnamon sticks , a couple of star anise and vanilla essence
- 2-3 tsp of sugar (crystals)
- Wash the grapes well
- Take a deep dish pan and add the grapes to it. Gently squish them with a back of your laddle.
- To that – add the sugar, spices, chopped fresh sage , lemon juice and the grape juice.
- Turn on the gas and place the pan on heat – and it let simmer for about 30 odd minutes ( This may take some time … keep it on the flame till it reaches your desires jam consistency)
- Take it off the heat, remove the whole spices and cool it to room temperature
- Store it a sterilized bottle / jar in a fridge for about 7-10 days
For the short crust party dough …. Basic Shortcrust Pastry Base http://wp.me/p1FGtT-56
Direction for the pie
- I used a 6 inches pie mold ( you’ll be left with some extra dough – you can either keep it for later or make another small pie)
- Roll the pie dough – place it in the mold
- With some extra dough – roll out and make thin strips for the lattice
- Give it an egg wash
- Pre heat the oven @ 200 degrees
- Blind bake the pie for 10-12 minutes and rest it for some time
- Scoop in some 4-5 tbsp of jam ( or more if you wish)
- Place the strips for dough carefully on the jam filled pie – end to end on one side and do the same over lapping the first set – end to end. This will create a faux lattice.
- Give the lattice an egg wash
- Sprinkle some sugar on the lattice and place a few leaves of sage on the lattice
- Place the pie in the oven – bake it at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes
- Check for doneness – the pie should be golden brown and sugar sprinkled on top should be browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest.
Have it just like that with a scoop of your vanilla ice creme .