Luscious mini lemon curd tart…. in a shortcrust pastry base
Ingredients for the shortcrust pastry: ( also check out – Basic Shortcrust Pastry Base http://wp.me/p1FGtT-56 )
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 80-100 g chilled butter, chopped into cubes
- 1 egg ( for egg wash) – optional though!
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
Ingredients for the lemon curd:
- 400 ml Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 egg yolks
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
Optional – berries, or any fruits , custard, icing sugar, fresh garnish
1. Mix the flour, salt and the castor sugar in a bowl. Rub in chopped butter and add sufficient water for mix in gently to a make a firm dough. Do not knead.
2. Wrap it with a cling wrap and refrigerate it a minimum of 30 minutes to a max of 3 days.
3. Keep the tartlet molds greased and ready. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out to a size that fits the tartlet molds.
4. Whisk an egg and brush it on the yet-to-bake tart shell.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C.
6. Blind bake the molds for 10- 12 minutes until light golden. Take them off the oven and let them cool.
Lemon Curd Filling
1. Combine the Condensed Milk and egg yolks in a bowl.
2. To that add the lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and whisk well gently.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
4. Pour the Lemon curd filling into pre-baked pastry shells.
5. Bake the tartlets @ 180°C for 10-20 minutes – until the filling is set.
6. Take it off the oven and let it sit to cool.
Garnish it with what your taste buds fancy and serve!!