Basic Shortcrust Pastry Base
A very easy and incredibly versatile recipe. This can be made and stored in the fridge for about 7 days.
Ingredients for the shortcrust pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 80-100 g chilled butter, chopped into cubes
- 1 egg (for egg wash) – Optional though!
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
1. Mix the flour, salt and the castor sugar in a bowl. Rub in chopped butter and add sufficient water for mix in gently to a make a firm dough. Do not knead.
2. Wrap it with a cling wrap and refrigerate it a minimum of 30 minutes to a max of 3 days.
3. Keep the tartlet molds greased and ready. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out to a size that fits the tartlet molds.
4. Whisk an egg and brush it on the yet-to-bake tart shell.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C.
6. Blind bake the molds for 10- 12 minutes until light golden. Take them off the oven and let them cool.