Simplicity, they say, is the ultimate form of sophistication. It makes for less stress and more happiness. Salads should be exactly that… less stress and more happiness. Simple and hearty!
For some, salads are a summer thing… but in my opinion it can be an anytime thing! Let the seasons decide what should go into the salad. Winter salads are as much fun as summer salads. They are warm , comforting and must bring a little sunshine to the table on cold dark days…. be it supper or lazy lunch.
On one such overcast sunday, I decided to brighten up with some vibrant warmth on a plate. A salad that is basically not too much work! 🙂
Guilty confession : For me , carbs are super comforting!! ( Is anyone with me on this?…anyone?)
Salad with carbs ..why not! But salads are synonymous with good health and nutrition (although I’m sure we have had /or come across salads that are anything but healthy). So a healthy rice it is. But the big question is – How do I make it healthy now? Use rice that is not white..simple. The wild rice from my recent visit to an organic food store will be perfect.
Wild rice – They are short, moderately thin and are almost maroon in color with a hint of little brown. Most of the grains have a beautiful almost gradient coat. (Just occurred to me that I must take a pic of the raw wild rice grains and update this post) The wild rice I bought is very different from the ones you get in the North East states. Those are absolutely gorgeous looking jet black rice…and when cooked it turned all sticky and starchy and beautifully delicious. (It was back home in Delhi, a friend of my sister, got it from her farm back home in Manipur (Thank you Julie ❤ )
My salad is a tweaked version of the recipe adapted from http://www.farmofplate.com (Thank you Medha) Just like hers, the version of this winter salad is also simple, and no fuss. Perfect salad that has all the right boxes checked …colour, texture, taste!
Steam cooked Wild Rice + Roasted Carrot + Ripe Avocado + Alfa Alfa Sprouts + Walnuts + Fresh herbs + citrus dressing= Easy Deliciousness
Now that is simplicity ❤
« Recipe – Wild Rice Carrot Avocado Salad »
- 1 cup steamed/cooked Wild Rice
- 1-2 large large carrot
- 1 medium to large Avocado (ripe)
- 1/4 cup alfa alfa sprouts (optional / or you can use any other sprouts you fancy)
- Fresh herbs – coriander & mint
- Dressing – juice of 1 lemon ( I used a mix of freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon & citron) + Mexican spice/ seasoning+ salt & pepper
- Soak the wild rice in water or 3o mins and steam cook it, let it rest and keep it ready.
- Wash and slice the carrots – Roast them in the oven or on a hot flat pan (toss in a little olive oil, season them lightly for roasting)
- Chop the avocado and set aside.
- To the rested rice – add the roasted carrots, chopped avocado + alfa alfa sprouts + walnuts and give it a generous squeeze of the lemon and season it.
- Toss in the fresh herbs
- Plate up and serve !